A History of the Richardson Building, 36-40 Center St., Rutland, VT
In this issue, Paul J. Crossman, Jr. traces the History of the 1884 Richardson Building. Located in the heart of downtown Rutland, it housed 118 different tenants from 1880 to 1980 in four of its building addresses: 36 Center,38 Center, 38 1/2 Center, and 40 Center Street.
Tenants were diversified and included U.S. Government offices, a physician, undertaker, attorney, contractors, numerous retail merchants and also offered apartment rentals. There were numerous owners over the years culminating with the sale of the building to the Paramount Theater in 1955 allowing its expansion.
Several pictures and an extensive bibliography add to this interesting account of the life of a building and its changes over time.